Why should i upgrade to Step Steel?
Just over 3 months ago we became the Official Australian Distributor for Step Steel. Step Steel is made in Canada by Step Skating Blades in Quebec City; a company with 50 years of blade manufacturing experience. Step uses the highest quality Swedish stainless steel making it a top choice for use in the NHL, AHL, KHL and other professional hockey leagues, In saying this we are not aware of ANY pro players that are paid to wear them. Their equipment manager chooses these blades due to quality and performance which makes their job easier.
We’ve now both skated on and sold a heap Step Steel’s blades and we must say, we’re in love! We installed a pair of these beauties on my Bauer 1S Supreme skates and Zach’s CCM Jetspeed’s and apart from being way stronger we immediately noticed some major differences over the stock blades.
Besides the obvious “bling” factor the “V-Steel” and “Black Steel” provides with its highly polished surface, the runners are clearly taller than stockers (about 10%) allowing you to get lower during turns, and with the XL option, a few millimetres longer with more steel on the toe and heel.
We also noticed that we have had none come back broken. ( Unlike factory bauer blades )
Lastly we noticed sharpening the Step Steel runners quickly revealed their superior quality Swedish steel — no clatter on grinding and just a few passes created an amazing edge.
Once on the ice, it’s very apparent that the rocker out of the box is spot on thanks to Step Steel’s precision manufacturing process (not stamped out like stock blades). We noticed a significant increase in glide over stockers (likely due to the finer steel, polished finish and longer blade). The most notable difference was revealed when getting into an edge, as leaning into a turn resulted in sports-car-like handling, all with minimal drag.
We were concerned that the longer, taller, more pronounced heel of the blades would produce a feeling similar to being on water skis, but to our surprise, the only thing we noticed was a more efficient stride and more glide, particularly when skating backwards. While the profile (or rocker) of the heel is considerably flatter than stock blades, the rest of the blade sports a 10′ radius (standard for Bauer blades usually 9′ and CCM are 10′).
A common theme among our skaters on Step Steel for the first time* was feeling as if their edges had been sharpened with a shallower hollow when skating in a straight line based on the increased glide. Yet, when leaning into a turn, the feedback was consistent in stating edges were full of bite and extremely confidence inspiring. * This group included both players skating on replacement CCM/RBK and Bauer Step Steel blades.
Step Steel is considered the highest quality hockey runner because:
- The side walls have the highest quality finish possible, which provides the best sharpening edge available (similar to a speed skating edge)
- The blade is 10% taller, which gives you a sharper turning radius, along with more sharpening
- The Step blade is 100% straight, which is very important when sharpening your steel to provide a quality edge front to back, especially with flat bottom groove sharpening
- Step Steel provides the extra turning and glide that professional hockey players demand. Step manufactures all brands and sizes, including goalie replacement runners for Reebok and Bauer.
Player Skates Steel
Available in the following configurations:
- ST-Speed/XL Speed for LS, LS2 & LS Edge Holders
- ST-Custom + Holders
- ST-Pro/ST-ProZ Holders
- ST-Ultra Holders
- ST-Bladz/ST-Mako Holders
V-Steel ( Velocity Steel )
Manufactured with the same materials used for the Step Steel line, the Velocity Steel line (V-STEEL) raises the industry’s standards by bringing material R&D to new heights. The V-STEEL is the result of extensive research on the effects of blade side finish. By heavily polishing the sides of the steel, we obtain a mirror finish which promotes significantly more flow, and better edge retention. The V-Steel is also exposed to the same rigorous list of quality control tests.
Exhibiting power, strength and precision, the Step BLACKSTEEL is the pinnacle of blade technology. Pushing the V-STEEL expertise, the Step engineers added a Diamond-like carbon (DLC) coating to the mirror side finish, which results in a greater blade performance by generating a winning combination of a low coefficient of friction and high surface hardness. The outcome is an elite and distinctive looking runner.
Step Goalie Steel comes in Step Regular Steel and Step Xtreme Steel.
What’s the Difference?
- Step Regular Goal Steel is 10% taller
- Step Xtreme is 30% taller and 20% lighter
- Goalie Steel comes in ST-Goal Bauer 3mm & 4mm and ST-Goal Bauer 3mm & 4mm EXTREME
- Goalie Steel comes in ST-Goal RBZ/ST-Goal RBZ EXTREME
- Goalie Steel comes in ST-Goal Graf (no extreme)
Why Choose Step Xtreme?
Step Xtreme Steel is growing is steadily growing in popularity with the pros every year. Here’s why:
- Harder edge for banging the posts
- Truer profiles for added stability
- Innovative aspect ratio for accelerated push across the crease
- 30% taller than a stock Reebok blade. 40% taller than a stock Bauer blade
- HUGE increase in boot angle clearance (35 degrees)
- Improved movement and recovery from the knees
- Ability to get much lower and wider in the butterfly stance
With over 40 years combined experienced between the two of us, we believe these make a tremendous difference to your game. If you don’t believe us ask anyone that has them!
If you have any questions feel free to drop us a message below and we’ll do our best to help you!
FOR MORE HOCKEY RELATED ARTICLES INCLUDING GEAR REVIEWS, HANDY INFO AND TIPS SUBSCRIBE TO OUR WEEKLY BLOG IN THE SIDE BAR OR BELOW!